Forum has currently a few technical problems, more in the forum news thread.

Daughter of the Lilies - 7.46

New comic!

Today's News:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

???

Discuss this page: FORUM | REDDIT | DISCORD
*The author is not affiliated with any of these communities nor the moderation thereof. 

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For anyone that is curious, I had gone back a long time ago and translated what the Cave Elves were saying and luckily I never deleted the document I saved that work in.

Cave Elf on the left: "He tastes funny"

Cave Elf on the right: "We'll cook him up when we get home. Now clean up."

(original scene can be found at http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/19)

• I was hoping for magical werewolf, but yeah, I'm starting to see the Cave Elf theory.
  • Has there been any discussion about whether she might be half Cave Elf? Her features seemed so much softer than the Cave Elves we've seen... (there might be gender dimorphism, or some kind of effect from her contact with the one who is three, but it would also make sense with her apparently more human upbringing.)
  • Yeah, I'm thinking the werewolf theory might be wrong. Cave elf is stronger and stronger. However, I don't know if she is by birth, or was cursed as such. She doesn't have the mannerisms of a Cave Elf. Maybe she never realized what it was she had been transformed into (or partially into) and seeing the elves in the cave kinda made her realize. Her first disguise was as an adult, which means she hadn't felt the need to do so as a child. Unless she was sheltered for most of her life. So many questions!!
    I think it's a mistake to infer from one scene which pretty basically was a short ambush and fight, the manners of a whole species; the few things Thistle told about cave elves are also hinting at some bigger picture. Imagine an Alien watching a few frat boys partying and then infering that this is the normal behavior behavior humans.

I've feel kinda satisfied by the development of that very strongly hints at Thistle being a cave elf; I appreciate it especially on a high meta level: The story started with introducing the cave elves and now ends with outing Thistle as one. Why should Meg have otherwise have broken the temporal sequence to introduce the Darth afterwards? The story would still work if told in temporal order (in some things a bit weaker, in others stronger), but there wouldn't be that satisfying look back to the beginning anymore. (Which is even made better by the direct flashback to Thistle's view. I totally didn't see that coming, but in hindsight it seems such an obvious thing to do; which just shows how elegant that is :-).)
    I think this is A++ story crafting, so kudos @MegSyv.
    Post edited by BellisPerennis on
  • I think that the cave elf theory is stronger, but I don't consider this as conclusive evidence, as Thistle can just like the idea of valuing life. Maybe, after what Wu said, she is reluctant to attack a fellow being with magic?
  • Alternate alternate alternate theory for what's happening on this page:

"Oh, hey. That's Joe! We used to date."

(Okay, probably not. But it gave me a giggle.)
  • I'm pretty sure its confirmed, either she is a cave Elf or she just knows that all life matters. maybe both
  • So as a warning, a few people posted some pictures that were spoilers on the discord chat. They were taken down as soon as possible, but they spoiled it for a few people. It is possible that the same may happen here.

If you see this, please report it. We want everyone to enjoy the various mysteries along with everyone else.
  • NevaMoore said:
    Ello. I'm here to plop down my theory in favor of team Cave Elf. I think Thistle was a normal cave elf female. Then she "died". Or at least should have. But the Glowey Good Guys either raised her from the dead or saved her from the brink of death. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/112 Look at this page. Specifically the cave elf right as he gets shot. His eyebrows turn white and if you look really closely at the back of his head, the rest of his hair is turning white. As he dies. We see on page 212 (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/210) that his hair is fully white when he is dead. What do we know about Thistle's appearance for sure? We know she has brown skin, blue eyes, claws and white eyebrows. And that the cave elf was terrified of her. Well, wouldn't you be terrified if you just found out what amounts to a zombie just fireballed your best friend?

Thistle has brown hair though. You can see it on this page http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/742 The white eyebrows under the hood must just be a stylistic choice.
  • Why can't she be a cave elf AND a dragon? Wu can be two things, too.
  • I have a couple of friends who also read the series? They are both SO confused, and then there's me just... Laughing evilly in the corner, huehuehuehuehuehue..
  • She might also be half cave elf. Her being half cave elf and half human or 'normal' elf would explain the softer features and different teeth and skin tone.
  • tylikcat said:
    Has there been any discussion about whether she might be half Cave Elf? Her features seemed so much softer than the Cave Elves we've seen... (there might be gender dimorphism, or some kind of effect from her contact with the one who is three, but it would also make sense with her apparently more human upbringing.)
    There´s a possibility - Thistle need a light globe to see in the dark
    And just noticed the cave elf have some weird ridges on his ear, like a bat.. maybe for echolocation?
  • Yeah, I'm thinking the werewolf theory might be wrong. Cave elf is stronger and stronger. However, I don't know if she is by birth, or was cursed as such. She doesn't have the mannerisms of a Cave Elf. Maybe she never realized what it was she had been transformed into (or partially into) and seeing the elves in the cave kinda made her realize. Her first disguise was as an adult, which means she hadn't felt the need to do so as a child. Unless she was sheltered for most of her life. So many questions!!
  • miladysnapdragon said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking the werewolf theory might be wrong. Cave elf is stronger and stronger. However, I don't know if she is by birth, or was cursed as such. She doesn't have the mannerisms of a Cave Elf. Maybe she never realized what it was she had been transformed into (or partially into) and seeing the elves in the cave kinda made her realize. Her first disguise was as an adult, which means she hadn't felt the need to do so as a child. Unless she was sheltered for most of her life. So many questions!!  
    A lot of things could explain Thistle having different mannerisms than those two cave elves, like her being not being raised as or by cave elves, or those particular cave elves having different mannerisms than others of the species.

• i just want to mention she has the same eye coloration as wu as seen when he was inside the drath, also he mentioned that she was the "youngest one" and that she could not control herself yet, my theory is that she like wu is half dragon but more in the sense that she is unable to change to full human or full dragon, as for the cave elfs being scared it might be the same reason that the drath hated her back at the academy, but it extends to all "creatures of darkness" or some shtick like that... possibly dragons could be reveared as saints or even gods (as seen by the towns folk talking about the frog fight shortly after) maybe even in a literal sense to explain the white hair... anyways just wanted to post my 2 cents before im shown to be wrong (or possibly right) cheers fellow readers!
  • I personally like the half-dragon or interrupted-progress-on-the-way-to-becoming-a-wizard theory - but how about this alternative hypothesis?:

Thistle is a cave-elf - no ifs or buts, a pure, full-blood cave-elf.
    But what if there are several different societies of cave-elves? There could be a generally civilized society of which she was a member - and there could be a degenerate society, brutish, backward and cannibalistic, shunned by the more civilized society. She has, at some point, left her society (orphaned? abandoned?) and been brought up in a human foster-home, where she encountered her abusive foster-carer. Raised by humans, she loses her natural dark-adaption skills. Since leaving/escaping home (which sounds like a story-arc in itself!), Thistle has learned magic, studied, healed and helped her way up to the point we first met her, with the story of Lou-anne's baby.
    Now, civilized Thistle hates what the degenerate Cave-Elves do - but she still feels her race-connection to them - which is why she is hesitating now. However, our first view of Thistle was BadAss Thistle, blowing the big cave-elf's head off! So I suspect this hesitation will only be momentary :)
  • I think however she is a half-cave elf. Unwanted child. That's why her mother (?) hates her and disparage her badly, alas.
  • Ello. I'm here to plop down my theory in favor of team Cave Elf. I think Thistle was a normal cave elf female. Then she "died". Or at least should have. But the Glowey Good Guys either raised her from the dead or saved her from the brink of death. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/112 Look at this page. Specifically the cave elf right as he gets shot. His eyebrows turn white and if you look really closely at the back of his head, the rest of his hair is turning white. As he dies. We see on page 212 (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/210) that his hair is fully white when he is dead. What do we know about Thistle's appearance for sure? We know she has brown skin, blue eyes, claws and white eyebrows. And that the cave elf was terrified of her. Well, wouldn't you be terrified if you just found out what amounts to a zombie just fireballed your best friend?
  • NevaMoore said:
    Ello. I'm here to plop down my theory in favor of team Cave Elf. I think Thistle was a normal cave elf female. Then she "died". Or at least should have. But the Glowey Good Guys either raised her from the dead or saved her from the brink of death. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/112 Look at this page. Specifically the cave elf right as he gets shot. His eyebrows turn white and if you look really closely at the back of his head, the rest of his hair is turning white. As he dies. We see on page 212 (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/210) that his hair is fully white when he is dead. What do we know about Thistle's appearance for sure? We know she has brown skin, blue eyes, claws and white eyebrows. And that the cave elf was terrified of her. Well, wouldn't you be terrified if you just found out what amounts to a zombie just fireballed your best friend?
    Those are coloring errors on my part. They will be corrected eventually.

@Wildcat is correct, it's a stylistic choice to color her eyebrows white. 
    http://bludragongal.tumblr.com/post/169782475711/i-hope-i-dont-sound-rude-but-i-was-wondering-why
    Post edited by MegSyv on
  • I bet Meg is saying that only to throw you off your theory because it is too close to the truth. :D I think I'll side with the Dragon-Thistle theory on this one.
  • Well, that's my theory full of holes XD but good to know for the future. I still side with the cave elf theory, tho :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I still vote that the "Even Cave Elves are afraid of me" line was just "Even monsters are afraid of me".