Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Discord and Disqus should work again.

Daughter of the Lilies - 7.42

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • *scree* But seriously ... arghhh! Okay, no way of dealing with this seriously. What is that? Are those claws? How do her gloved fingers look normal? Is that some kind of "divine" (dunno what else to call it) magic sparkling in her eyes? Does it not work with all the covers, is that why she uncovered herself? Am I imagining things, or does that ear look a bit elf-like? Need. More. Data!

Now: Is Thistle a cave elf? I wouldn't have considered it before, but now ... the skin tone fits, the clawed hands fit. The eyes may or may not fit, but we don't know if all cave elves have the red eyes we saw in chapter 1, or if magic might not have had a hand in changing that. We haven't seen enough of the rest of the face to point us anywhere.

What else? The cave elf in chapter 1 running away, with tears in his eyes, make sense. They are from a superstitious, matriarchal society, one that supposedly wouldn't look kindly on a man attacking one of his social superiors. Upon seeing who/what she really is, the guy would naturally be horrified by what he now knew he had done, and flee in terror, in his eyes tears of remorse.
    The villagers screamed "it was going to eat us". Cave elves are known to be cannibalistic, we saw several examples.
    Her flashback/echo "Don't smile, your teeth will frighten people" ( http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/628 - panel 5) makes sense - cave elves have sharp, pointed teeth, and a smile of that could indeed give some people nightmares. Superficial people who don't know Thistle, yes, but I get Gwendolyn's (or however her name was) angle.

Now ... can anyone tell me what speaks against it, what doesn't fit with this? Don't want to go too far on a false trail here...

Lastly, I'm amazed how kind, and, well, beautiful those eyes look. Just wow.
    Post edited by desercitus on
  • I still say that becoming Hym's Heir made her look like a dragon.

But SRSLY THO this page is awesome. Brunettes FTW!!
    Post edited by SharonTRose on
  • This is why my mom's youngest sister died. She came two months early and her lungs hadn't finished developing. :( But as for Thistle: eeeeee!
    Post edited by babylonranger on
  • Her hair color is definitely not what I expected. Probably partially since her eyebrows show up as white with her hood up, and the other lady that we saw that I have been assuming is related to her has blonde hair. Still very interesting. Too bad the dragon wizard couldn't have seen her doing this instead of the tree and frog fiasco.
  • My main problem with the cave elf theory is http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/213

I just can not understand her being surprised that she even scares cave elves if she is one.
  • Me, reading this page: "Words, words, words. Aww, preemie baby. Words, words words. Ooooh, pretty, glowy eyes! But... why does she need to completely cover herself just because of pretty, glowy eyes?" *Visits Tumblr link, reads, "Claws."* "Wait, what?!" *Goes back* "HOW DID I MISS THAT?" I guess this clarifies my priorities: words, and glowies. I'm apparently oblivious to anything else. :-p
  • And her eyes were partially glowing like that before too http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/551 Seonnd panel And I think that her eyebrows have been kept white before for maximum readability purposes.
  • I just had a thought: She was possessed by a Drath right? Didn't the frog Drath have sharp claws and darker skin as well? Maybe she's not so much a cave elf as that's the Drath peeking through. Same could be for her teeth and "horrible" appearance. Drath are scary as all get out so of course she'd hide since it would only encourage the dark Drath taint she still has. As for that golden glow in her eyes? Yeah, I'm betting that's the bright Holy Angel helping out there.
  • I'm thinking she's an untrained wizard who's kinda stuck between forms. Tainted by the Drath in some way, yet chosen by whatever that great multi-eyed glowing thing was to bring about a great change that not even she's fully aware of yet. The Drath may be why her eyebrows are white, and the rest is the mix between human/dragon. No thanks to the creature in pretty clothes from her past, instead of taking strength in who she is, she hides, and the reactions of others only enforces that. Poor dear... :(
  • I honestly don't think Thistle's a cave elf; I think she's something else entirely. Whatever she is though, she's beautiful, and we've only seen part of her face. I mean, just look at her eyes! I'm so excited to see the rest of her face.
  • I hope she is half dragon. Since I first saw Wu in action and personally assumed that there was some divine connection to his powers (given the subject matter of the comic) and how it could be blinding to mortals in the Bible I made the same connection with Thistle and what happened when people saw her face. Please be dwagon, pwettyplz!
    Post edited by Immitem on
  • kimi432 said:
    Her hair color is definitely not what I expected. Probably partially since her eyebrows show up as white with her hood up, and the other lady that we saw that I have been assuming is related to her has blonde hair. Still very interesting. Too bad the dragon wizard couldn't have seen her doing this instead of the tree and frog fiasco.
    I'm of the opinion that the "eyebrows" - as well as the "eyes" - that we see when Thistle has her hood up are actually an illusion/glamour and those are her "real" eyes.

Of course, i might be wrong...
  • Thistle is dryad. Her "claws" looks like wood to me, it fit with the whole plant-name-thing and the inhuman appearance. So I am going with Thistle is a dryad ^^
  • (double post)
    Post edited by desercitus on
  • *scree* But seriously ... arghhh! Okay, no way of dealing with this seriously. What is that? Are those claws? How do her gloved fingers look normal? Is that some kind of "divine" (dunno what else to call it) magic sparkling in her eyes? Does it not work with all the covers, is that why she uncovered herself? Am I imagining things, or does that ear look a bit elf-like? Need. More. Data!

Now: Is Thistle a cave elf? I wouldn't have considered it before, but now ... the skin tone fits, the clawed hands fit. The eyes may or may not fit, but we don't know if all cave elves have the red eyes we saw in chapter 1, or if magic might not have had a hand in changing that. We haven't seen enough of the rest of the face to point us anywhere.

What else? The cave elf in chapter 1 running away, with tears in his eyes, make sense. They are from a superstitious, matriarchal society, one that supposedly wouldn't look kindly on a man attacking one of his social superiors. Upon seeing who/what she really is, the guy would naturally be horrified by what he now knew he had done, and flee in terror, in his eyes tears of remorse.
    The villagers screamed "it was going to eat us". Cave elves are known to be cannibalistic, we saw several examples.
    Her flashback/echo "Don't smile, your teeth will frighten people" ( http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/628 - panel 5) makes sense - cave elves have sharp, pointed teeth, and a smile of that could indeed give some people nightmares. Superficial people who don't know Thistle, yes, but I get Gwendolyn's (or however her name was) angle.

Now ... can anyone tell me what speaks against it, what doesn't fit with this? Don't want to go too far on a false trail here...

Lastly, I'm amazed how kind, and, well, beautiful those eyes look. Just wow.
    I think you're onto something. I went back to look at the colours of the cave elves' hair and found a little inconsistency there.

Example One: This guy's hair is all brown on this page: (http//www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/110)
    Example Two: He sees Thistle and suddenly his eyebrows are white, like hers: (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/112)
    Example Three: Orrig drops the corpses on the ground and now all of his hair is white: (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/210)
    Example Four: A close-up shows that it's back to being brown: (http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/211)

All I can think of is that either Meg missed colouring the hair (I believe she was doing her own colours then, and not Yoko? I could be wrong) or there's some significance there, as if he was shocked so much by the sight of her that his hair immediately turned white, or if it was an effect of whatever is going on with her. Either way, if cave elves operate somewhat the same as dark elves/drow with their society, it makes sense that he'd run from seeing her if she was a cave elf as well. You make pretty convincing points!
    Post edited by Overlord on
  • OMG, those fingernails! A manicurist's nightmare! ;)
  • Bum said:
    My main problem with the cave elf theory is http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/213

I just can not understand her being surprised that she even scares cave elves if she is one.
    Not a bad point. And believe me, I'm far from convinced, either. Just starting to ponder the possibility.

As to why she'd be surprised ... Of course she wouldn't expect a cave elf to be scared of one of his own. Well, he wouldn't be - if the cave elf theory is accurate, he's just horrified by what he's done, and not by her appearance per se.
    But Thistle, being Thistle, doesn't consider this because she always thinks something must be wrong with her. If cave elves normally treat females of their kin with reverence, this guy fleeing in terror must hit especially hard if you assume it's because of you specifically and not his own deed.
    But well, maybe, this really is complete nonsense, I guess we'll see...
  • Also, Thistle keeps saying (obliquely) that she's not a wizard. Perhaps because she's not had the formal training? Wu recognized the type of magic she used, and he assumed she was fully-trained. We shall see.
  • SHE LOOKS ADORABLE, I AM SO HAPPY

this is all I had to say.
    Post edited by p_stein on
  • for some reason this reminds me of the bear story from Brother Grim. Where a man tries to become a bear. Idk how relevnt this is but since its also hinted that thistle is an expirement in guessing that she's proably not anyknow species anymore, im also guessing that darth where used in this expirement some how.
  • Well, the look of her hands are definitely a clue toward why she wears so many layers. As one who tends to grow their nails out and finds the resulting talons a bit cumbersome at times, I can't even imagine how it would be to try and go about my everyday life with what appear to be literal claws growing out of my fingertips. I'd hope the gloves would help a bit. That said, I was thinking of getting prescription contacts to change my eye color... and now I have to wonder what this color would look like.
  • I think the cave elf theory definitely holds water... last page when she really lingered on that picture of the cave elf? hmm. if she were though, I think she might be like... part cave elf? what we have seen of her face and hair seems like more regular-people-features than those of the cave elves we saw. or maybe those were particularly icky cave elves? and of course, maybe she isn't and this is all for naught, haha.
  • Bum said:
    My main problem with the cave elf theory is http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/213

Hm... think she could be because of her upbringing by Hym she's considered some very fear-inducing person for the regular cave elf. Imagine you meet some person at random, about whom people have told you very terrifying stories, and that also looks somehow strange to boot. You'd probably be frigthened, too.
    Just because Cave Elves are cannibalistic, doesn't make those more immune to fear than other species; that they normaly operate in darkness where others cannot see them rather points into the other direction, imho. (As in it needs less courage to sneak-attack some foe than charging someone head on.)
    Post edited by BellisPerennis on
  • With the kinds of things the villagers are saying in http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/22 Maybe some kind of demon? the red and black color scheme definitely reinforces that.
  • Oooooh! On page http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/440, Thistle's hand looks much more claw-like right before she passes out! Perhaps it's some kind of focus-based illusion!
  • Oh sweet jesus that claw though! THAT IS AWESOME!! that is so cool! i don't think she is part Cave elf, it does make some sense, but some of it just doesn't add up. My personal theory is that drath may have had something to do with her looks, but I'm just happy i got to see some skin on thistle!
  • Bum said:

Hm... think she could be because of her upbringing by Hym she's considered some very fear-inducing person for the regular cave elf. Imagine you meet some person at random, about whom people have told you very terrifying stories, and that also looks somehow strange to boot. You'd probably be frigthened, too.
    Just because Cave Elves are cannibalistic, doesn't make those more immune to fear than other species; that they normaly operate in darkness where others cannot see them rather points into the other direction, imho. (As in it needs less courage to sneak-attack some foe than charging someone head on.)
    Well I do not think I would be frightened, but that is very individual and I agree many people would. It was how she said it that makes it not work for me. She expected Cave Elves to not be scared of her. This hints she believed her looks to be in line with theirs, but his fear suggested to her that she is more fearsome than they are. This is what suggest to me that she is not a cave elf, but I can accept that I may just be reading into it what I want to instead of seeing the clues for what they are. 
  • i was completely wrong with my guess, but this is much better anyway.
  • Both Drath and dragons also have claws, not just cave elves, so this is a pretty vague clue so far. She's so adorable though ;u;

We might have seen a werewolf somewhere already, walking around openly? I'm not totally sure. The crowds are always really diverse in this city, it seems.

Maybe she has scales up her arms and horns around her head/face?

Whatever she is...
    - she craves mushrooms (which supports the cave elf thing)
    - the Drath really hate her, and vice versa, even though hating Drath is a less popular opinion pre-Brody (which kind of supports the dragon thing and/or the Drath survivor thing)
    - people don't seem to recognize what she is (which does a bit to discredit the cave elf theory because cave elves live somewhere nearby)
    - she's pretty obviously used to living comfortably and not worrying about money, and she has some sort of memory of a noble lady (this REALLY doesn't support the cave elf theory)
    - she's also pretty upset about being so frightening, suggesting she hasn't lived her whole life looking fearsome (another knock against the cave elf thing)
    - she has brown skin (cave elves we've seen are gray skinned)
    - skeleton dude seemed to imply she was some kind of chosen one

So, I don't think she's a cave elf.

My theory for quite a while has been that someone tried to mix her up with a Drath summoning. More specifically, I think someone (perhaps even Thistle herself, who hasn't been properly trained and perhaps had not much idea what she was getting into) tried to summon a Drath, and Thistle got pushed or goaded into its circle but one of the circle-head angels saved her and she's merely been left with a disfigurement and an Echo. Either that, or someone who was abusing Thistle in her past tried to use her as a host directly. (And it's illegal to use "humans...") Bonus points though if it was a weak host first, and said host was a lily. Boom, title.

In addition--because the Drath and Dragon theories aren't mutually exclusive--I think she's a Wizard who has absolutely zero clue what's going on and nowhere near enough control over her shapeshifting. After all, Wu seemed to think she was capable of saving Fike, unless he just expected her to keep buying time for him like the other mages were.

Wu's magic also seems to be the same blue-and-yellow colors as Thistle's (blue healing and yellow-gold dragon), where most of the other mages have unique colors and only one color at that. It'd be a big coincidence. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/623

Wu also seems to be drawing power from the One Who Is Three, though, so it's hard to tell for sure. Remember, he uses the same font as the angels for Important Declarations. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/613

Last thing of note: there's a tiny reference in here to "Hym's lost heir" in a background speech bubble here: http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/627

Now, to post the looooongest post in this comment section!
    Post edited by rebekahaimee on