Forum has currently a few technical problems, more in the forum news thread.

Daughter of the Lilies - 7.37

New comic!

Today's News:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

Alt text by Joshua Groom on Twitter!

Remember that DotL will be on break during the week of Christmas.

Discuss this page: FORUM | REDDIT | DISCORD

Post edited by BellisPerennis on
Tagged:

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • *Brent attempts listening*
    *Brent critically succeeds*
    *BRENT BECOMES FRIEND*
    Brent: wait what?
    *Brent loses any chance for anything more unless he overcomes the friendzone*
    Brent: well... shit.
    Post edited by p_stein on
  • File_13 said:
    Know what? Besides Brent being precious, and Thistle being a cinnamon roll, I am absolutely in love with this page because it's really got the message about listening. I am Brent. There are those of us who might not be intelligent, or wise, or have their shortcomings, but are given the gift of simply being able to listen to people when they come to them. Only problem is being a therapist, and then needing your own therapist. (wow Casey, good job ruining your own post XD)
    Wouldn't say you ruined it. You got your point across and added a funny quip to the end. Works in my book. It is honestly amazing how few people are willing to just listen. So many try to fix the problems or offer advice that is not asked for, when all that is needed is to listen. It has been my experience that most people already know the answers to their problems, they just need to talk it out until they can arrive at it.
  • Know what? Besides Brent being precious, and Thistle being a cinnamon roll, I am absolutely in love with this page because it's really got the message about listening. I am Brent. There are those of us who might not be intelligent, or wise, or have their shortcomings, but are given the gift of simply being able to listen to people when they come to them. Only problem is being a therapist, and then needing your own therapist. (wow Casey, good job ruining your own post XD)
    Post edited by File_13 on
  • listening is a goddamn fucking superpower.

I try really hard to do it, but I am one of those people who speak A LOT, so it's hard for me. So don't make it seem like it's not important - it's a very important quality and one that I admire very much.
  • In relation to the giving advice bit, I think ... How can I say this:

Sometimes, you need advice

Sometimes, you already have all the advice you can get and you've received tons of advice, so all you need is to vent on somebody who won't judge - won't judge you, won't judge any other party involved, won't judge anything - but will just listen

Sometimes, you haven't received any advice, but you don't need to - you just need to say something. It may be because you just need to vent on something small or it may be that just saying this is incredibly difficult and burdensome: so you can't handle anything more. you can't handle a discussion. you can't handle somebody suggesting you what to do. you can only handle to say what you need to say, be heard and that's it.

Also, sometimes just saying something to someone is receiving help.

In any case, the timing and the persona of the person giving the advice is extremely important.

I don't know if this is any clear. I just think that, like all things, giving advice might be good sometimes and unsuited to the situation other times.

P.S. Don't forget also that some people say that they didn't ask for the advice, but in reality, they are just on the defensive. Doesn't mean they actually didn't appreciate the advice. On the contrary, sometimes, you can get into a fight with someone, go home and think on what they said. Then, eventually, realize they were right.
    Post edited by p_stein on
  • There are some characters in this comic that you like almost instantly. Thistle ands Orrig are prime examples of that, in my opinion. And there are those you might be luke warm on first, until you get to know them better. And then they are the best people ever, and you don't understand how you could ever not be a fan of them. Like Lyra and Brent. And this page (well, together with the previous few pages) is what sealed the deal on the aforementioned "then" for Brent. Show us how awesome Brent is. (I remain convinced Lyra's moment was her "STFU!" to Wu. Just as awesome.) Also, good to know Brent has some semblance of self awareness. "I say the wrong things a lot" ... yeah, you do, buddy. Yeah you do. But you're alright. Finally, alt text is just hilarious. :D
    Post edited by desercitus on
  • Snorted when I saw the alt-text...glad I'd just finished my coffee :)
  • Yeah the alt text would have been hilarious if it suddenly happened.

I don't think the friend zone is a bad thing for Brent. To me Thistle is the kind of person who will pick out of her friend zone to let some one closer.  :Thistle:  .......   :Brent:
    Post edited by Bum on
  • She doesn't let his arm... And this is not a light touch - it's a hold, I'd say. It's obvious this is reassuring her. It's very good! :)
  • p_stein said:
    *Brent attempts listening*
    *BRENT BECOMES FRIEND*

I literally had the exact same thought XD
    Post edited by File_13 on
  • Still wondering why she covers herself, where Orrig looks alright
  • p_stein said:
    *BRENT BECOMES FRIEND*
    *Brent attempts to escape freindzone*
    *Brent critically fails*
    *Brent becomes "like a brother"*
  • p_stein said:
    *BRENT BECOMES FRIEND*
    To be friendzoned you must express having a romantic interest in a person first, and then be rejected. Being just aquintances and then becoming friends is not "being firendzoned" it's "healthy development of a relationship". So Brent has been... befriended.
    There are some characters in this comic that you like almost instantly. Thistle ands Orrig are prime examples of that, in my opinion. And there are those you might be luke warm on first, until you get to know them better. And then they are the best people ever, and you don't understand how you could ever not be a fan of them. Like Lyra and Brent. And this page (well, together with the previous few pages) is what sealed the deal on the aforementioned "then" for Brent. Show us how awesome Brent is. (I remain convinced Lyra's moment was her "STFU!" to Wu. Just as awesome.)
    Also, good to know Brent has some semblance of self awareness. "I say the wrong things a lot" ... yeah, you do, buddy. Yeah you do. But you're alright.
    Finally, alt text is just hilarious. :D
    I think I may have found the cause of those two becoming much more likeable at those two instances: Because they showed that they actually care about other people. Orrig's great leadership skills and Thistle's sensitivity made it very early on clear that they do; but Lyra and Brent both can both come off much more selfish, because they have much rarer the opportunity to shine in that department. (Which is totally okay. "Perfect" characters offer a lot less narative possibilities - which doesn't make Orrig less awesome.)
    Bum said:
    File_13 said:
    Know what? Besides Brent being precious, and Thistle being a cinnamon roll, I am absolutely in love with this page because it's really got the message about listening. I am Brent. There are those of us who might not be intelligent, or wise, or have their shortcomings, but are given the gift of simply being able to listen to people when they come to them. Only problem is being a therapist, and then needing your own therapist. (wow Casey, good job ruining your own post XD)
    Wouldn't say you ruined it. You got your point across and added a funny quip to the end. Works in my book. It is honestly amazing how few people are willing to just listen. So many try to fix the problems or offer advice that is not asked for, when all that is needed is to listen. It has been my experience that most people already know the answers to their problems, they just need to talk it out until they can arrive at it.
    It's a pity that people look so much down on advice, if they didn't especially ask for it. I know that people don't like it, but never managed to wrap my head completely around it, but I'm also not what's considered neurotypical. For me, giving advice means sharing knowledge; which in my experience can sometimes make a tremendous difference. Giving advice can also mean that the giver may struggle with empathy, but despite that wants at least show you their sympathy by offering something that might help the reciever out of their problem. They don't want to belittle you, they want to show you that they care and help, even if that's not in a way that "normal" people use.
    Of course listening is considered a valuable skill and I also don't wonder that there are a lot people that struggle with it; because listening is a tremendously hard task. You have to maintain appropriate eye contact, need to monitor the other speaker's facial expressions and gesture, listen to what they say AND mostly ignore what's going around otherwise. For most people those things mostly happen subconsciously; but just imagine that would not be the case and that one, or even all of those subtasks need a constant deliberate efford to archieve.
    If I can choose between someone who might only look like they are listenening and someone who actually did and tries to help me, I'll take the latter. And if I get advice that I don't like or consider unhelpful? If it's from someone I don't know much I can easily ignore it - if it's from a friend I'll tell them that it doesn't help and try to give advice for what kind of advice would probably be more helpful with me. (Yeah, I'm a mess.. Like many people in the world. Just because someone comes off as normal does not mean that they are - they are maybe just faking it, so they don't get constantly ostracised for non normal behaviour.)

Whoops, got a bit talkative here. I wonder how will Thistle react to Brent calling her indirectly a good friend.
    Post edited by BellisPerennis on
  • Bum said:
    File_13 said:
    It's a pity that people look so much down on advice, if they didn't especially ask for it. I know that people don't like it, but never managed to wrap my head completely around it, but I'm also not what's considered neurotypical. For me, giving advice means sharing knowledge; which in my experience can sometimes make a tremendous difference. Giving advice can also mean that the giver may struggle with empathy, but despite that wants at least show you their sympathy by offering something that might help the reciever out of their problem. They don't want to belittle you, they want to show you that they care and help, even if that's not in a way that "normal" people use.
    Of course listening is considered a valuable skill and I also don't wonder that there are a lot people that struggle with it; because listening is a tremendously hard task. You have to maintain appropriate eye contact, need to monitor the other speaker's facial expressions and gesture, listen to what they say AND mostly ignore what's going around otherwise. For most people those things mostly happen subconsciously; but just imagine that would not be the case and that one, or even all of those subtasks need a constant deliberate efford to archieve.
    If I can choose between someone who might only look like they are listenening and someone who actually did and tries to help me, I'll take the latter. And if I get advice that I don't like or consider unhelpful? If it's from someone I don't know much I can easily ignore it - if it's from a friend I'll tell them that it doesn't help and try to give advice for what kind of advice would probably be more helpful with me. (Yeah, I'm a mess.. Like many people in the world. Just because someone comes off as normal does not mean that they are - they are maybe just faking it, so they don't get constantly ostracised for non normal behaviour.)
    Listening is tricky. Not only because as you said one needs to block out the unnecessary, but also because you need to read whether someone just wants you to listen and whether someone wants interaction. This is crux of what you were saying. Some want input, and some want an ear and nothing more. 
    Post edited by Bum on
  • did we ever give a name to that ship?
    if not I propose Bristle
  • foducool said:
    did we ever give a name to that ship?
    if not I propose Bristle
    Better than Thrent :D
  • #Bristle is also the name of the tag Meg uses to mark BrentXThistle stuff on her tumblr.