Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Discord and Disqus should work again.

Daughter of the Lilies - E1.09

New comic!

Today's News:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

Hello, everyone! 

Obviously, you all have noticed this page is going up a day later than our typical Tuesday/Thursday schedules, but it is for very good and exciting reasons: Yoko, the DotL colorist, was offered a full time job. 
As much as we love working on this project and the satisfaction it brings us, it is not a reliable way to support ourselves. I work full time, and Yoko has been freelancing for many years now. Coloring this comic has been one of the many jobs she's been juggling to support herself. All of her hard work has paid off and she's finally being recognized for her immense skill and has been offered a position... in another state. And has to move there in less than a week??!!! 
This has obviously been taking up pretty much all of her available time, as she has had to secure a place to live, the means by which to get there, and pack up all of her belongings to take with her. She asked for a week to get things taken care of and things settled in (which might be longer, depending on how things fall). Regardless, this is great news, and means only good things for her! Congratulations, Yoko!!!

When discussing things with Yoko, she asked if it was all right to post three early Thistle Theory Features (did you forget about those?!) through next Thursday while she takes care of things. Originally we were going to post the first one today, but I feel like this page is a better beat on which to sit for a week or two while the dust settles. This page will be updated with colors when they're done.

DotL will be going on a 1 week - 1.5 week break while we handle these sudden developments. 

Thank you all very very much in advance for your understanding!!

And now, some notes about today's comic:

Carol is named after Carol Carol O'Connor, but goes by Mama Bird on Patreon (can you guess why I asked her for help with this character??). She's been a long-time supporter of the comic and a patient member of the Name A Character Tier (which I've had to close temporarily until I can get through all the names I've been provided with! Thank you!!). Carol has blessed us with this sacred image of the Carol Club:

Carol has a deviantArt and a Tumblr account, and is a talented artist in her own right. You should check out her stuff!

Discuss this comic: FORUM | REDDIT | DISCORD*
*The author is not affiliated with any of these communities nor the moderation thereof. 

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Gasp!  Women can be professors too?
    Post edited by charmas on
  • Though, I'm kind of curious as to what's preventing Carol from absorbing the guy and doing what the other drath tried to do.  Maybe his soul is too weak?
  • Meg, Your drawing fu is strong and I see no reason that you should not continue to tell your story in pen & ink/photoshop ~ whatever digital format you desire. At some point you may acquire a minion to enhance your work with color, at which point we can all cheer and have a wonderful read thru of the archives as they are enhanced.

I would volunteer myself but my coloring skills are severely limited to the latest version of Gimp, plus I am exhausting myself with accounting work and part time music and the accounting pays the mortgage. (Plus my color skills are execrable. There will be no shading.)

Nonetheless, I admire your drawing and story skills. Keep it up!
  • charmas said:
    Though, I'm kind of curious as to what's preventing Carol from absorbing the guy and doing what the other drath tried to do.  Maybe his soul is too weak?

Maybe it's less that it's his soul is too weak, but Carol's too weak to do anything beyond Gwen's power.

Hm. I do note that the minute the Professor showed her power everyone got Very Quiet and nervous. I think that's an important factor that needs to be shared. She may be well-off in society and invited to all sorts of parties but I doubt Professor Caedhin has very many friends. In fact it feels more like the relationship Maelificent had with Sleeeping Beauty's parents- You invite her because Not inviting results in only bad things
  • Well, that does explain a few things....
  • the moment she said her name

I heard

haha it seems to fit her.

• InV said:
    the moment she said her name

I heard

haha it seems to fit her.

Suitably creepy yet beautiful. yes I think it's right.
  • Nice to know Yoko is getting a full-time job! She deserve it :Buddy:
    And as for Gwen.. it all makes sense now
  • She looks like the lady that was torturing Thistle in a flashback here. http://www.daughterofthelilies.com/dotl/729

• I heard more of a James Bond theme in that last panel. Also, is that 'torture' flashback showing Gwendolyn speaking the same language as the Cave Elves?

Edit: it is not, I don't think
    Post edited by Siir on
  • I’ve got a theory now.

Professor von Caedhin took Thistle from the cave elves (in exchange for some thaumaturgical favor she had granted?) and trained her as an apprentice, while she researched Drath-summoning. For one reason or another, she tried to use Thistle as a Drath tribute (pushing the envelope on the proscription against humanoid tributes perhaps), and Thistle was rescued by the Being of Light. Gwendolyn considered the experiment to be a failure, and the attempt ill-advised. She probably paid a personal price as a result of the incident, and took out her resentment on Thistle (who came away from the experience with some unexpected gifts, including her Mage abilities and the Drath echoes, which manifest as an inner monologue consisting of Gwendolyn’s brand of invective and abuse). Thistle took as much of it as she could stand before running away. But she couldn’t go back home, as Gwen had told her that her tribe couldn’t wait to be rid of her, and she was a ca'dafekka.

Meanwhile, the cave elf community has come to recognize that allowing that surface-dwelling magic-user to take away one of their own was a BIG mistake, for which they expect to be punished. This is why the sight of Thistle in their midst can cause one to panic.
    Post edited by kaylasdad99 on