Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Discord and Disqus should work again.

Daughter of the Lilies - E1.06

New comic!

Today's News:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

Yoko colored this page in less than 24 hours because I abruptly lost the ability to effectively manage my time, I'm sorry. She's an absolute beast for getting this done in the time available.

An interesting thing of note: while working on this script, I really, really struggled with writing this specific part of the scene. I did a lot of research on Mansplaining and trying to break it down to an understandable thing that I could believably recreate... but I just could not do it. My head could not wrap around it. Everything felt forced and disingenuous. Maybe it still feels that way to a certain extent, but you should have seen the earlier drafts. Finally, out of frustration more than anything else, I forcibly stopped considering gender and instead just tried to write something patronizing and dismissive. Suddenly the words came.

I'm not really sure what that means, or even if there's a statement somewhere in that experience, but it's something that I think about a lot that still bothers me. 

Discuss this comic: FORUM | REDDIT | DISCORD*
*The author is not affiliated with any of these communities nor the moderation thereof. 

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Personally, I don't think 'mansplaining' actually exists. I happen to be the one who does most of it and most patronisingly in my family, and I am female. I got it from my grandmother - she is patronising to the extreme. My father, on the other hand, is more of a lecturer and my brother doesn't do it at all. I really think haughtiness is just a character flaw, not an inherent gender flaw.
  • I think it's spot-on - I'm from Australia and we have a prime minister who is really good at patronizing and dismissive - and this strip encapsulates the style perfectly...  :BuddyTongue:

That said, I am beginning to feel a certain amount of apprehension regarding this guy's fate, despite his arrogance - he is really gonna get taken down a peg or two, isn't he? That is, assuming he survives... 
  • This guy might just get his butt shanked. There's just some people you don't wanna talk down to.

That mansplaining bit is interesting, especially since I consider it to be made up and rather intrusive to moderate views on how people talk to each other. It'd be understandable if the women in the field of Drath Summoning were new, but the older lady with the pug from hell makes it seem like they've been established already.

As it is, if I had a giant skeleton doggo, and was talking to a person who appeared to not have persistence or tact for centuries old people and a dinky eyepie to show for it, with a few glasses of wine, I think I'd be condescending too.

...All of this may be biased because I actually like this guy and his giant dog.
  • If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the woman is Von Caedhim and the guy always just assumed the author was a man.
  • The older woman and the balding man look very uncomfortable- I would take that as a sign to get the heck out of this social circle before the blood starts flying.
  • The older woman and the balding man look very uncomfortable- I would take that as a sign to get the heck out of this social circle before the blood starts flying.
    The balding man is even sweating bullets on 2nd~3rd pannels and both he and the older woman took some distance from the duo.. something is going to happen on next page?
  • Personally, I don't think 'mansplaining' actually exists. I happen to be the one who does most of it and most patronisingly in my family, and I am female. I got it from my grandmother - she is patronising to the extreme. My father, on the other hand, is more of a lecturer and my brother doesn't do it at all. I really think haughtiness is just a character flaw, not an inherent gender flaw.
    This. I fail to see being self-righteous and patronizing as being in anyway tied to genitalia. Or is the implication of "mansplaining" that behaving in this manner is only unacceptable if the speaker has a penis?
  • But this guy is assuming the women is weaker and dumber than him purely on the basis of her gender and her beauty.
  • charmas said:
    But this guy is assuming the women is weaker and dumber than him purely on the basis of her gender and her beauty.
    I got the impression he assumed she was dumber based on the quality of her summon, given that is the reason he stated. If her gender is a factor, he's been strangly hesitant to mention it.

As for beauty, she really isn't, certainly not attractive enough to motivate someone to attack her for it.

Now I would completely buy that she believes he is treating her this was because of her gender and beauty, but that says more about her ego than his.
  • charmas said:
    If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the woman is Von Caedhim and the guy always just assumed the author was a man.

Called it!
  • Rebecca Solnit would recognize this guy...!