Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of Magic would he wield

If the unknown differentiator for being a wizard instead of just a mage was say to have a visit from the servant of the One Who is Three, then it would be pretty funny for Brent to begin to develop magical powers. If that were the case, what kind of magic would you expect Brent to wield?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BellisPerennisBellisPerennis Posts: 106Administrator
    edited December 2017 Vote Up1Vote Down
    Rune writing. He'll start to write poems to impress Thistle (because see "someone" him that smart girls love poetry), but his handwriting is so bad, that he they turn out magical. He never finds out how exactly it works, because the magic is not thematically linked to the content of the poem.
    (I can't really imagine Brent as a traditional mage, he's imho simply too low in control for that.)
    Post edited by BellisPerennis on
  • desercitusdesercitus Posts: 17Member
    edited January 4 Vote Up1Vote Down
    Hmmmm *Goes to Google* Search Results "Empaths are highly sensitive. Th is is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another's emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of knowing that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others." This sounds a lot like Brent to me. though I hate to put more work on Thistle patching up his butt because he took on someone else's injuries.
    I don't know. While it's true he is truly compassionate and considerate of others, he doesn't seem always that quick on picking up what they think or feel. Put plainly, he can be really thick sometimes. Don't know if that really fits an empath.

As to what magic he'd use ... certainly not anything too intelectually charged, you know, with lots of books and arcane scrolls. Not that he's stupid, far from it, but I don't think this would be his kind of beef.
    But I could picture him being in touch with the deep roots of his ancestors, knowing who he is and where he's headed, with a bit of development ... so maybe something shamanistic, or spiritual in a broader sense?
    Phew, this is hard. Maybe because Brent seems so inherently non-magical. He's just some nice, everyday down-to-earth-guy with probably no interest in all that high and mighty supernatural hoowabooha.
    Post edited by desercitus on
  • BumBum Posts: 47Member, HeadMod
    edited December 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    That low control and training is what makes the possibility interesting and hilarious. Personally I would expect to see him have some kind of innate defensive ability. Protects himself and others... Lord knows he needs it.
    Post edited by Bum on
  • Paladin, no question. Not interested enough in books and studying theory I think to be a mage/cleric type. Protective enough to be a Paladin.
    But an really important ant part of being a Paladin is serving as a good example and inspiring others. I don't know if Brent would be up to the task, in the sense that he isn't someone that would assume a leading position; Brent comes currently off more as someone that looks for leadership in others. (Not that I would mind, I like that archetype...)
  • But that would make for a beautifull character arc :O
    Of course, because gaining more control will make Brent a more complete character. A character that only grows in their strong aspects will never be able to satisfy as much as one that also grows in their weak ones.
  • Hmmmm *Goes to Google* Search Results "Empaths are highly sensitive. This is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another's emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of knowing that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others." This sounds a lot like Brent to me. though I hate to put more work on Thistle patching up his butt because he took on someone else's injuries.
    Hmmmm *Goes to Google* Search Results "Empaths are highly sensitive. Th is is the term commonly used in describing one's abilities (sensitivity) to another's emotions and feelings. Empaths have a deep sense of knowing that accompanies empathy and are often compassionate, considerate, and understanding of others." This sounds a lot like Brent to me. though I hate to put more work on Thistle patching up his butt because he took on someone else's injuries.
    I don't know. While it's true he is truly compassionate and considerate of others, he doesn't seem always that quick on picking up what they think or feel. Put plainly, he can be really thick sometimes. Don't know if that really fits an empath. As to what magic he'd use ... certainly not anything too intelectually charged, you know, with lots of books and arcane scrolls. Not that he's stupid, far from it, but I don't think this would be his kind of beef. But I could picture him being in touch with the deep roots of his ancestors, knowing who he is and where he's headed, with a bit of development ... so maybe something shamanistic, or spiritual in a broader sense? Phew, this is hard. Maybe because Brent seems so inherently non-magical. He's just some nice, everyday down-to-earth-guy with probably no interest in all that high and mighty supernatural hoowabooha.
    Oh, I like the idea with some magic linked to his ancestors; something like this could be a great means to explore his orcen heritage.
  • p_steinp_stein Posts: 33Member, Brave Soul
    would also fit the half-orc theme.
  • BumBum Posts: 47Member, HeadMod
    There would be a certain kind of hilarity if he got a "dainty" power like say making dresses magically.