Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Theory: Thistle has been somehow disfigured by a drath summoning.

BumBum Posts: 16Member, HeadMod
My current theory is that Thistle was used as the "sacrifice" in a drath summoning, but she was saved either due to some unique power of her own, or a power from outside herself.

This left her with an echo, and some form of disfigurement. I believe this summoning was performed by the red head that later she keeps seeing in her flashbacks. This person has been identified as Gwen.

Please give me your thoughts.
Post edited by Bum on

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BellisPerennisBellisPerennis Posts: 90Administrator
    edited November 28 Vote Up2Vote Down

It took me some time to notice that I forgot her eyebrows.
    (Gif made by me.)
    Post edited by BellisPerennis on
    I think she is not necessarily disfigured; we saw it with Professor Fike and the Frog that they both returned to a normal look after Wu saved them. And Fike would have ended up like Thistle with an Echo, if Wu would not have made short process of it.
    So Drathification does not disfigure someone; although one could argue that wounds you got in that form carry over to your true form, but that would mean that a drathified Thistle would have been hurt in some way.

Personally I think Thistle dresses up for entirely different reasons.

• DaiJBDaiJB Posts: 1Member
    edited November 30 Vote Up1Vote Down
    My response to Thistle's reason for being hooded and covered is still that of Number Five: "More INPUT!" :D
    We still have tantalizingly little to go on:
    The lesser Drath recognize her and immediately tell her that they hate her...
    The far more powerful Brody recognizes her ( but doesn't get any further before Thistle flash-blinds him)...
    Ordinary people respond with fear, driving her away, indicating that her appearance is, at the very least, extremely unusual, probably alarming - but more thoughtful people who take time to ponder the situation (like John) accept and thank her...
    But the most intriguing behaviour (to me, at least) is that of the Cave-elf - he leaps on Thistle, rips her hood - then screams and runs away, tears running down his face and crying, "I'm sorry! I didn't know!"...
    ???
    I dunno, I got nothing :/
    Edit: Made your paragraphs visible. :coder:
  • p_steinp_stein Posts: 17Member, Brave Soul
    edited November 30 Vote Up1Vote Down
    I'm not sure she got disfigured. Maybe it's a magic effect of her powers? Like "you can't handle the truth" type?
    Post edited by p_stein on
    It might be worth putting up a Thread were we collect links to all those little tidbits that are floating around. (Perhaps even collect fanwork?)
  • BumBum Posts: 16Member, HeadMod
    edited December 1 Vote Up1Vote Down
    ml1201 said:
    Since I'm not on tumblr, that mushroom bit was some interesting information. I don't remember anything specifically liking mushrooms in the D&D universe, then again don't look in-depth into the lore because I like being surprised by my GMs. So sadly I can't add anything to this, but I want to say that I think there's a chance that she some how merged with a Drath and the echo might actually be the drath talking directly through her instead of it being an echo. *shrugs* Just my opinion though.
    Meg has stated that the DotL universe is not based on the DandD universe, so the parallels might not apply
    Alternate theory: She is actually just too pretty. Erryone be jelly.

I think Brent made an account.
    Post edited by Bum on
    You may well be right, but it is also possible (in the instance where my assumptions are correct) that thistle being saved was not done properly and she has lingering issues like the echo.
    You mean that more than a regular echo remained? Perhaps she has her eyes on stalks like a snail.
    That would certainly be a hilarious turn of events.
  • desercitusdesercitus Posts: 7Member
    edited November 28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Certainly possible, especially if the summoning somehow went awry. Yes, we've seen "drathification" doesn't always disfigure the victims, but maybe there are exceptions? Like the drath in question or the summoner specifically seeking that outcome, a mistake in the summoning, or an "exorcism" less complete and succesful than the one performed by Wu on Fike. So a good theory, I think. Though I can't help looking for one where the "light drath" and Hym fit in. They really have to play a part in Thistle's past somewhere, and if they do, it's very well possible either one (or both) was what saved Thistle from the drath summoning you theorized.
    Post edited by desercitus on
    @BellisPerennis Nice!

@desercitus I tend to agree that the Light Drath (We need a better name for them : Anti-Drath, Bizarro-Drath, Lamhtckrad or maybe just Lamht) likely had something to do with Thistle's saving from it. It may well be that Thistle's inability to let go of her self doubt is what causes her transformation back not to be complete.
    I'm for L'Gith as a name for them; Drath's first free letters are the same as in Dark just not in the same order, so for the non-opposite-opposite we could take Light as base.
  • MayMay Posts: 3Member
    edited November 30 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello!
    I definitely think Thistle was involved in some sort of ritual that involved the Drath. My personal theory is that something went wrong during that ritual and not only was she left with an Echo, but she was physically marked by the Anti-Drath/Servants of The One Who is Three/L'Gith. She was either saved by the Servants, or someone who was meant to take on the mark themselves (Gwen?) sacrificed themselves for Thistle, which is why she was chosen. Or! The one who was supposed to be marked disqualified themselves by summoning the Drath themselves? Either way, Thistle herself mentioned that "it wasn't supposed to be [me]".
    So – Thistle has some form of magic/divine powers that she can't control, and was never meant to inherit – this naturally fills her up with self-doubt, a feeling that the Echo takes advantage of and morphs into self-hate, thus prompting her to cover her face, her Mark. The mark they gave her must be pretty recognizable too, since the Dark Elf ran away as soon as he saw her face. I also think the Mark might be religious or mythical in some ways, since John was apparently hoping for someone, a being who is more than a mage; since the baby apparently couldn't be saved with just magic.
    A fantastic magical hero of legends, one who serves The One Who is Three (whom I presume is a god in DoTL's world; a reference to Trinity, I believe) maybe? I don't know... I just don't think Thistle was disfugered since she didn't seem triggered by Margot's(?) facial injuries when she met her.
    tl;dr: I think Thistle has a very large, very obvious Mark on her face that declares her as a figure of legendary power and destiny. She hates the circumstances that gave her the Mark, so the Echo makes her hate how she look, thus making her hide her face.
    P.S. Sorry if this is too long/obvious/detailed. I just really needed to share this before I forgot about it :annoyed:

Edit: Made your paragraphs visible. :coder:
  • May said:
    Hello! I definitely think Thistle was involved in some sort of ritual that involved the Drath. My personal theory is that something went wrong during that ritual and not only was she left with an Echo, but she was physically marked by the Anti-Drath/Servants of The One Who is Three/L'Gith. She was either saved by the Servants, or someone who was meant to take on the mark themselves (Gwen?) sacrificed themselves for Thistle, which is why she was chosen. Or! The one who was supposed to be marked disqualified themselves by summoning the Drath themselves? Either way, Thistle herself mentioned that "it wasn't supposed to be [me]". So – Thistle has some form of magic/divine powers that she can't control, and was never meant to inherit – this naturally fills her up with self-doubt, a feeling that the Echo takes advantage of and morphs into self-hate, thus prompting her to cover her face, her Mark. The mark they gave her must be pretty recognizable too, since the Dark Elf ran away as soon as he saw her face. I also think the Mark might be religious or mythical in some ways, since John was apparently hoping for someone, a being who is more than a mage; since the baby apparently couldn't be saved with just magic. A fantastic magical hero of legends, one who serves The One Who is Three (whom I presume is a god in DoTL's world; a reference to Trinity, I believe) maybe? I don't know... I just don't think Thistle was disfugered since she didn't seem triggered by Margot's(?) facial injuries when she met her. tl;dr: I think Thistle has a very large, very obvious Mark on her face that declares her as a figure of legendary power and destiny. She hates the circumstances that gave her the Mark, so the Echo makes her hate how she look, thus making her hide her face. P.S. Sorry if this is too long/obvious/detailed. I just really needed to share this before I forgot about it :annoyed:
    I don't think it's just a mark, nor that it's just the face. For one, remember that not only creatures of evil and darkness can't stand her sight - the villagers were terrified by it as well, so much so that they chased her with torches and pitchforks, fearing a monster that would eat them.
    Second, Thistle doesn't just cover her face, but every inch of her skin - whatever transformation she went through must be total and all-encompassing.
    And lastly, it's been hinted that Thistle's condition isn't merely about outward appearance, but goes deeper: https://tmblr.co/ZHeb_u1oq-o6q
    About Thistle's reaction to Margot's scars: Maybe Thistle's got a good grip on reactions like this by now, or (more likely) any "disfiguration" she may suffer from is so unlike Margot's that it's too different a thing to trigger anything.
  • One more thought: Maybe it wasn't the drath summoning, but the "exorcism" that disfigured/otherwise changed her. It wouldn't be the first time (although historical parallels may be less than accurate) that such an undertaking comes at a cost and leaves scars on the victim. Maybe the only solution the acting party saw was to "remove" what was considered corrupted, and leave only what remained pure (her soul)? Not likely, but a cool concept, not very unlike Azeroth's ethereals: https://wow.gamepedia.com/File:Ethereal_Spellfilcher_TCG.jpg
  • MayMay Posts: 3Member
    @BellisPerennis Thanks! I kept trying to fix it but I had no idea how to do that, lol. Sorry for the trouble.

@desercitus To be honest, I thought they chased her away because of what she was doing to the baby. And I didn't see that Tumblr post – that's a very interesting info on Thistle. But why mushroom I wonder?
    ... Maybe Thistle isn't really human? Maybe it's like Princess Tutu, where the swan temporarily became human... Nah, impossible.
    But I like what you're saying very much! So, it's safe to say that the changes are also biological and not just skin-deep or magical? Hmm... I am slumped.
    Still, I really don't think that whatever disfigurement she has is from an injury. Which makes me agree that whatever changes happened to her must be, as you said, total and encompassing.

So @Bum, now that I have thought (and read other comments) about it, I think your theory is entirely and completely plausible! Only, I don't think that the "disfiguration" is caused by the Drath ritual itself but something that happened due to the ritual. Also, the "disfiguration" must be more than just a skin-deep change to her appearance. This "disfiguration" could in fact be a disfiguration to her race, and not her body. Am I making sense? I am not a native English speaker so I am sometimes lazy with my words :innocent:
    @May You expressed it in English just fine.

There are a lot of places across Meg's twitter, tumbler, deviant art, and the conversations of the comic itself, that all come together to give a lot of hints, but it can be difficult putting it all together.

The purpose of this thread was to start some wild speculation, and maybe some day one of us would find out our wild speculations were actually correct.
  • Since I'm not on tumblr, that mushroom bit was some interesting information. I don't remember anything specifically liking mushrooms in the D&D universe, then again don't look in-depth into the lore because I like being surprised by my GMs. So sadly I can't add anything to this, but I want to say that I think there's a chance that she some how merged with a Drath and the echo might actually be the drath talking directly through her instead of it being an echo. *shrugs* Just my opinion though.
  • miloneumanmiloneuman Posts: 3Member, VIP
    Alternate theory: She is actually just too pretty. Erryone be jelly.